Website Utah Geological Survey
Click here or go to governmentjobs.com/careers/utah and search “economic geologist” to see more details and to apply. Questions can be directed to email@example.com.
The Utah Geological Survey is looking for an early career economic geologist to join the Energy and Minerals team. Join one of the largest state surveys in the nation and take part in hands-on geological assessment and research of Utah’s diverse mineral resources.
As a Geologist in the minerals group, you will:
· Assist senior geologists with mineral resource evaluations and research projects through field work and lab-based activities (mapping, geochemistry, mineralogy, core logging, etc.). Multi-day travel for fieldwork should be expected.
· Help develop GIS datasets and visualizations to make Utah’s mineral resource information readily available to the public.
· Collaborate with the Utah Core Research Center, web services team, and other stakeholders to develop data organization strategies and curate historical geologic data.
· Liaise with members of the minerals industry, other state agencies, federal agencies, and academia about Utah’s mineral resources.
· Publish results from mineral projects and present outcomes in a variety of settings.
The ideal candidate will possess:
· Bachelor’s degree in geosciences, Master’s degree helpful.
· Working knowledge of economic geology and mineral systems relevant to Utah (minerals industry experience advantageous but not required).
· Ability to conduct fieldwork over multiple days and experience with geologic mapping, collecting samples, minerals exploration, and/or comparable.
· Experience with ArcGIS or equivalent GIS software and general computer literacy.
· Demonstrated ability to conduct, write-up, and present data-driven research.
· Meticulous attention to detail and exemplary data management skills.
· Excellent communication skills, the ability to be self-directed, and motivation to grow as an economic geologist.
Enjoy a flexible schedule, easy access to Utah’s mountains and red rock country, and friendly colleagues who are passionate about Utah’s geology, all while conducting meaningful work on Utah’s mineral resources. Take advantage of the exceptional development opportunities in this role and embrace a work-life balance that provides ample time for family and leisure. The UGS is a welcoming and respectful work environment, and the State of Utah provides benefits, retirement package, vacation, and sick leave.
The Utah Geological Survey (UGS) believes that Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) are cornerstones of institutional, scientific, and creative excellence and are inextricably linked with our mission, vision, and values. We actively promote EDI as essential to a thriving work environment and greater community. We advocate for policies that promote EDI in our workplace and encourage the unbiased treatment of all individuals for the sake of their personal and intellectual liberty.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.