Location: Taps & Tanks Reno, NV
GSN MEMBERSHIP MEETING (3rd Fridays) will be held at Great Basin’s Taps & Tanks, 1155 S. Rock Blvd. Reno, NV. Drinks @ 6:00 pm, DINNER @ 6:30 pm, Talk @ 7:30 pm.
Speaker: Dean G. Heitt, Geologist and Author.
Title: “Before the Gold: the Early Mining History of the Carlin Trend 1874-1961”
Drinks Sponsored by: To Be Announced.
Before the Gold: the Early Mining History of the Carlin Trend 1874-1961
Dean G. Heitt
Before the Carlin Trend was known as one of the largest gold producing camps in the world, the area was made up of several smaller historic mining districts. The first recorded claim, The Blue Wing, was staked in 1874 approximately 1.5 miles east of the Carlin Mine. The book Before the Gold details the early prospects, mines and people that were active in the area prior to discovery of the Carlin mine by Newmont Mining in 1962.
The Richmond District, in and around the Cretaceous age Richmond Stock, was the first to be prospected in 1877. Prospects were generally for silver, lead, and minor zinc. but had little reported production. Several shallow shafts were dug but no production is reported. The early 1900s saw renewed interest in the district.
The Schroeder district was established in 1883 also exploiting primarily silver-lead-zinc mantos and a few copper deposits. The district was renamed the Maggie Creek district in 1905 with a focus on the Copper King deposit. The first gold deposit would not be found until the 1930s. The jasperoid containing the gold would become the discovery for the Gold Quarry deposit which would also be the first deposit on the trend to have confirmed microscopic gold. The district produced copper, silver, lead, zinc, barite and minor gold.
In 1907 the discovery of placer gold by Joe Lynn kicked off the largest rush to the area. Placer gold was primarily mined from Lynn and Sheep Creeks with lesser production from Simon and Rodeo Creeks. As miners fanned out through the Lynn District, as it was to be named, they quickly discovered the source of the placers for Lynn and Sheep creek and established the Big Six Mine. The Big Six would become the largest underground mine in the area and would produce gold until at least the early 1940’s. Additionally the district would produce silver, lead, zinc, copper, barite and world class turquoise from the Number 8 mine. The Blue Star mine, on the site of the Number 8 mine, would produce 800 ounces of gold in 1959 and 1960 from a Carlin Type deposit by Bob Morris and his partners. It was Morris who enticed Newmont to look over the deposit and eventually led to the discovery of the Carlin Mine in 1962.
The Bootstrap district lies at the north end of the main portion of the Carlin Trend. Originally prospected for antimony in 1914 it was restaked in 1949 as a possible gold mine. Between 1956 and 1959 Bootstrap produced 7,104 ounces of gold from several small open pits. This was the first mine in the area to use cyanide leaching to recover the gold and the first open pit to produce from a Carlin Type deposit on the Carlin Trend. Marion Fischer and his partners helped put the area on the mining map.
Between 1874 and 1961 total production for all the districts was 18,581 ounces of gold, 12,928 ounces of silver, 135,481 pounds of lead 10,145 pounds of zinc and 874,242 pounds of copper. Unknown quantities of barite and antimony were also produced. Turquoise production is estimated at $1.4M.
Details11/15/2019 18:00:0011/15/2019 21:00:00America/Los_AngelesGSN Membership Meeting Reno – November 15, 2019Reno, NV
|Event Starts||Event Ends|
|All Day Event|